Saturday 13 July 2019

Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup for the Soul

Yesterday, a cold and miserable Friday, I made chicken soup for the first time ever. I make other soups, vegetable and pumpkin mostly, but never chicken.

Anyway, I had leftover chicken from a supermarket rotisserie-cooked chicken and having been ill all week I had a hankering for chicken soup. Since no-one had delivered the broth I needed for my recovery, here's looking at you Mummy,(I don't consider a four-hour drive an excuse!) I had to make my own.

A quick search of everyone's online best friend Google, and I found a simple recipe of which I loosely followed.

Comforting Chicken Noodle Soup
Ingredients
  • 8 ounces (approx 225g or 1 cup) pasta (I used macaroni and way more than that!)
  • 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 medium onion diced (I used a whole onion)
  • 3 cloves garlic minced
  • 2 medium carrots diced (I only had one carrot)
  • 5 cups chicken stock (I didn't have it ready made so used Maggi Cubes dissolved in water)
  • 1 cup cooked chicken cubed or shredded (I used way more than this)
  • 1 medium zucchini (didn't have any)
  • diced 1 stalk of celery sliced (didn't have any, but wish I did!)
  • Kosher or sea salt to taste (I used 20 turns of the grinder)
  • Freshly ground black pepper ( I used 20 turns of the grinder)

I also added about 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of mixed herbs)

How to Make It
Step 1    
Cook the pasta until al dente and then drain and set aside.

Step 2    
In a stockpot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Stir in the onion, garlic and carrots and cook until onions are softened, 2 to 3 minutes.

Step 3    
Add the chicken stock, chicken, zucchini and celery. Bring to a gentle boil, and then reduce heat and simmer for about 5 minutes or until vegetables are tender.

Step 4    
Stir in the pasta and season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.

Because I used more pasta and chicken than the recipe called for my soup was quite thick, but this made it even more nourishing! It makes heaps too, I gave a bowl to my neighbour, we had it for dinner last night and there is still at least two bowls left in the fridge.
Here's the link to where I found the recipe. I might try the Asian version next time.

bon appétit!

Thanks so much for reading
xo Rachael

No comments: